Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Old and Bewildered



I was just in the kitchen at the sdj (stupid day job for the anagramically challenged), making more shit soup, and my co-workertrons were all discussing some complex Christian metaphor regarding the whole Star Wars trilogy empire. According to their theory, Anakin Skywalker was an immaculate conception and therefore was like Jesus but then he went to the dark side so he's really Lucifer or something like that. Evidently the extended metaphors abound across the board.

Yawn.

I love Star Wars immensely and hold it on its revered pedestal as the huge childhood influence it was (in fact I have never really gotten over the painful memories of a million unfulfilled promises regarding the ability to be the Princess Leah figurine in exchange for cleaning my brother's room...which always ended up in me being yoda, an honor I did not comprehend at such a tender age and also somehow yoda morphed into a total Jewish mother constantly offerring Luke some nice hot chicken noodle soup in a voice that my brother made me replicate until the day he died and my mother still brought up the other day...and...oh, ahem, where was I?), but I couldn't give less of a shit about this Darth Vader is Lucifer crap. What I do care about, and why I'm even bothering to share this story, is the fact that one of the young co-workertrons at the sdj HAS NEVER EVER SEEN A SINGLE STAR WARS MOVIE!! Now I've always tended to be on the pop culturally illiterate side of the fence my whole life, so I'm not one to throw stones, but how could you never have seen a single Star Wars movie?? There are a gagillion of them! Its a huge part of our collective cultural lexicon as human beings! The last remaining cannibal tribe discovered was familiar with The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi ! Did you grow up in a vacuum? I was so deeply disturbed and in a severe state of shock (I mean its a scary thing indeed when I am in awe over someone else's lack of pop culture knowledge) that I could not refrain from asking:

Synge: Can I ask you a really tacky and rude question? Ummm, how old are you?

SDJ Co-workertron: 25

Synge: Oh. I guess maybe that explains it.

I feel old and bewildered now. Especially bewildered.

4 Comments:

Blogger JMD said...

Twenty five is probably too young to have seen Jedi in the theaters in 1983, but how could he/she have missed it during its run on cable for the last twenty three years? That's just pop culture laziness.

December 05, 2006 10:41 PM  
Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

I agree with the evacuee- that's just laziness. I could understand if this Star Wars-less person was under eighteen (MAYBE...) but 25 is not really that much younger than you or me, and therefore it is not a generation gap issue. Don't check yourself into a nursing home just yet, m'dear- remember, I'm a month and a half older than you, and I do not yet consider myself even close to my prime. You have punk-rock bangs and wear short plaid skirts- that makes you timeless.

December 07, 2006 10:54 AM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

oooh, i'm punk rock? really? (says the self admitted dork)

December 07, 2006 6:20 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

(the self admitted dork being me, not chanteuse)

December 07, 2006 6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home