Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Mes Nouvelles...Vitement

I'm in the midst of packing so this will be ultra brief and super-non-entertaining. My gramdmother died yesterday and I'm getting ready to fly to France for the funeral. My mother doesn't know yet because my father wouldn't let me tell her while they were on a mini-vacation in Charleston, SC...which I think is totally wrong. He will tell her tonight, when they get home...at which point it will be too late for her to be able to go. Even if she isn't strong enough for the trip, I firmly believe that it is her choice to make - a choice he is effectively robbing her of. He said "If you saw her smile...she's the happiest I've seen her since she got sick. I'm not going to take that away from her." I understand his reasoning, and I know he truly believes he is doing the right thing..however, I believe it is truly the wrong decision and ultimately controlling and disrespectful. I believe he has no right to do this. Unfortunately her cell phone is off and he will not pick up calls from me. After our last discussion (read argument) he hung up on me and hasn't turned his cell phone on since.If he were my husband, I would consider this act not only selfish, but unforgivable. A marriage certificate is not a liscence to steal one's power of choice, cancer or no cancer.

So in a truly adolescent move on my part, I charged the $500 ticket to Paris on his credit card. If he won't let Maman go, I'm going in her stead and he's paying for it.

I'll be back in a week and deal with the aftermath then. for now, I have to believe that going is the right decision...for me, for Maman, and for the generational stream of women in my family.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I am sorry for your loss.

I agree with you. I think eventually it will be more distructive than tell her now. He is being selfish... and maybe a little cowardly.

Have a safe trip

HUGS

March 20, 2007 11:20 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

I'm sorry about your grandmother and sorry your mom has lost her mom. Have a safe flight. I hope you're able to spend time with your cousin.

Miss you.

March 21, 2007 1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Sara, I'm so sorry. I 100% agree with you on this. How sad that your mother is being robbed of this choice. :(

(((Hugs))) to you, my friend. Safe trip...

~Becky

March 22, 2007 11:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am hugely, squeezing-you-ly, sorry my sweet.

But good for you...as a sister in this cancer thing with a parent...I would be furious for the exact same reasons. Withholding info is in a twisted sense like lying.
Things are tough enough.

Be safe, sweet.

March 27, 2007 4:19 PM  
Blogger Swa said...

Hey Kiddo- I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother; also sorry that you had to go through that uncomfortable sequence with your dad. You and your mom are in my thoughts. Hope all is well otherwise.

SD

April 05, 2007 3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home