Friday, May 25, 2007

Evidently I'm Ancient

The other day as I was doing the two job shuffle, going from one to another right around the time the local high school got out, I overheard one of the funniest converstaions I've heard in a long time. Imgine the following, but in rapid squeaky I'm cooler-than-you teenage voices:

Girl 1: Well just think, when you're 18 you can do whatever you want, and no one can tell you you can't do something.
Girl 2: Yeah but by the time I'm 18 I'll be old and a grown up and my life will be over and I won't even want to do any of the fun stuff I want to do now. It'll be too late, I'll be old and boring.

Ah yes, I remember when I turned 18 and became a spinster rocking in my rocking chair and communing with the neighborhood cats...life was indeed over. If only I'd been able to stay out late and go to certain parties my life would never have been such a useless wasteland of nothingness. The world will never know what genius would have befallen it had I only been able to do wjhatever I wanted to as a teenager. Life is so unfair, dude.

4 Comments:

Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

i had a conversation along the same lines a few weeks ago with one of the work study students in my office. she's 20, and said that she can't wait until she's done with school and she can be a "real adult". i told her to hold her horses and carpe diem- being a 'real adult' is not exactly all it's cracked up to be: as spider man's relatives always say "with great power comes great responsibility", mostly in the form of bills, taxes, career anxiety, marriage pressure, biological clocks and wrinkle cream.

ah, to be an 'ancient' 18 year old again- i wouldn't do it for the world, but it sure sounds nice in theory...

May 25, 2007 1:17 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Who's an adult?

Not me.

La la la la la. (I can't hear you!)

May 25, 2007 2:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, we're all on the same timing...just tonight i said something to j along the lines of 'its really strange to be an actual grown up and have to deal with grown up issues now' (i was thinking about work related stuff), and he replies 'i don't know what you're talking about. all you have to deal with is that bowl of cereal in front of you.'

i guess it's all in how you look at it.

and yes, i was having cereal for dinner.

-kristoise

May 26, 2007 12:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My best friend growing up now has a kid old enough to drive. I am older than dirt.
Steve

May 28, 2007 8:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home