Thursday, February 24, 2005

My Surprise Easy Money Day

Today my attenpts to be a totally irresponsible slacker were foiled by a wake-up call (at what pathetic slacker hour I will not divulge) from The Comedic Chameleon. This wake-up call, however, involved easy money earned somewhere other than the horrifically boring and tedious stupid day job, so I decended the loft bed and 20 minutes later was running out the door headed for Chelsea TV Studios. Upon arrival, I found out the particulars I had not been informed of; I was an audience member stand-in for rehearsals for a taping of a comedy show pilot that will be done tonight. What this meant was that I received $50 to sit in various chairs for about two and a half hours. Strenous work, I tell you. I'm utterly exhausted.

I'm thinking, why haven't I explored these avenues before? I made in two and a half hours more than I make in 5 hours at the stupid day job after taxes...and I was paid in cash!

I'm forming a new resolve to find alternate and more lucrative moneymaking endeavors while still holding on to the ideally flexible but low paying stupid day job.

I then took a little more time away from the stupid day job to go have coffee with The Comedic Chameleon; we talked for a very long time about work stuff, the hell that is self-marketing, the idea of eventually writing my own one woman show, and the magical yet elusive beast called the agent. Then we talked about stupid boys. Of course. But hey, at least work took precedence, right?

I think I'm headed into a new phase full of rediscovered motivation. I was talking with the other actors in class last night, and every time the question of how they got this gig or that was answered it was always with "Bcause i knew somebody." So I said that I felt like I had been in the city for a year and a half already, and hadn't stumbled upon opportunities like that, and felt that a year and a half was a long long time. Everyone in the room laughed hysterically for a good 5 minutes before unanimously voting that a year and a half was nothing, and that it takes a good 5 years before you start finding the really good opportunities. Believe it or not, this was actually infintely reassuring to me. Now I just have to find a way to survive the next 3 and a half years of sporadic work without distractly obsessing over a parade of men who are wholly and unequivocably bad for me.

I was glad the day took such an unexpected turn away from the mundane routine. It was a surprse day, and those always make me happy...even if one of the surprises was a massive amount of snow being randomly dumped on this city on a day when I wore the most impractical of high heeed boots. Speaking of which, I have to go slip and slide my way to the undoubtedly slushy gross wet subway now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Swa said...

i LOVE your blog!!!Your entries definately has potential for a movie in the making...you should think about that. As for easy money making ventures, all tried and true survivalists know the quick-easy way to tax-free cash: FOCUS GROUPS!!!! There are several agencies in the city that are always recruiting for potential clients for various products. By you being a budding thespian, you could easily rack up the dough! (don't want to divulge trade secrets here). Check on Craigslist in the jobs section. There are always calls for participants there. Good luck and keep up the blog!

February 25, 2005 10:58 AM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

i actually tried going the focus groups route when i first moved here, but i suppose i was always too honest and never seemed to quite qualify. perhaps i should try again now that my bullshitting skills have been sharpened by living here.

and i am addicted to craig's list- the free stuff section and the furniture. weird, i know.

i'm glad you love my blog! it's awesome to get your feedback, and you do wonders for my ego. thank you!

February 25, 2005 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home