Thursday, February 10, 2005

Pin the Tail on the Donkey (or Ass)

My birthday totally snuck up behind me and shouted "BOO!", startling the hell out of me. Not scaring, mind you, just startling. Birthdays should never be a scary thing, and I like the idea that its my last year in my 20's...its kind of a nice little opportuinty to wrap up the decade. I do think, however, that birthdays should never shout "BOO!" at you; it's just not very nice and I almost wet my pants. I mean, I just saw my birthday the other day! There's no way it could've been another year. I think my birthday might be cheating...maybe it's got some calendar months up its sleeve...you know, that old fuck with time trick.

But on this day, I decided to look inward and what I've found amidst the veggie curry and wasabi peas of yesterday is that I'm happy. Sure, there are the occasional crise-du-jours, as my brother used to call it, and every day and moment is not perfect, but I'm happy with who I find myself becoming and that's something I never ever would have imagined myself saying in my wildest hopes and dreams. I'm so very proud of that growth; its a beautiful source of strength for the not-so-happy moments.

I like 29. It's going to be a great year, even if my birthday just taped a kick-me sign to my back and put my bra in the freezer at the slumber party because I was the first to fall asleep.

7 Comments:

Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY YA'OLD WOMAN YA'!!!! (i'll call later with a more musical and personal b-day wish, but in the meanwhile i had to send greetings and remind you that you are now old, just like me- ; P!)

February 10, 2005 12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bon anee, Chere!
Ange

February 10, 2005 3:32 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

To paraphrase Pete Townshend, looks like 29 is gonna be a good year...somehow when you smile I can brave bad weather (from Tommy, of all places).

Happy birthday!!

February 10, 2005 5:57 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

oh my god! ange! how are you? at first i wasn't sure if it was you cuz i had no idea you were out there in blogland, but who else could it be with ange and chere! wow! long time no see. you have a birthday coming up next month too...the 3rd? i'm sad that i'm at this stupid day job and not at the theatre eating some awesome ange biscotti or cheesecake.

thanks for posting your comment. i'm touched that you're reading my blog. awesome surprise!

February 10, 2005 6:04 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

(by the way ange, you wished me a happy new year- fitting for my solipsistic universe, but still kinda funny...in a cute way)

February 10, 2005 6:06 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 10, 2005 6:06 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Happy birthday! I wanted to call you but I don't know your number!

February 10, 2005 8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home