Sunday, March 27, 2005

Vagina Update

One of my cohorts in producing V-Day Brooklyn 2005 e-mailed me today in response to the casting director's e-mail, and she said something quite wise. She said, "There will be more...you are in the first 5 minutes of your [New York] career. Remember that." Its easy to forget, but oh so true.

I had my first one on one rehearsal for The Vagina Monologues yesterday and it was a thrilling and productive rehearsal. I really love the director, and love how she pushed me to take risks and go further. She doesn't coddle, which is wonderful, as I have an incredible mistrust of directors who coddle their actors. She's also right on the ball about her approach to the show, and the need for it to be an inclusive and empowering event, and is approaching each monologue in terms of ensuring this goal is reached. She's also a really awesome bad ass womyn who doesn't take anything less than what she asks for...I adore her!

Swandad asked me to keep everyone updated on the show, so the new news in case you're not following the VAGINAVLOG, is that we now have advanced ticket sales available through Southpaw's website...yay! We also have a paypal link on the vlog, for easy donations (though not tax deductible as the paypal donations are not being routed through the nonprofit umbrella). The graphic design for the postcards is absolutely amazing, and we should be ready to go to print with them tomorrow - the graphic designer is fucking brilliant, and I highly reccomend him if you ever need a graphic designer for anything. Mr. Artsy Hotpants, who is a godsend despite having gotten me totally off the wall schnockered last night, is helping get a list a press contacts and we will be sending out press releases asap. He's been so incredibly encouraging throughout this whole process and remotivates me whenever I feel exhausted and frustrated. We have our musical performers all lined up, and are still working on getting the seating donated. The Park Slope Safe Homes Project, the organization we are donating the proceeds to, is really excited about the event and will be there with an information table to do further outreach and education about domestic violence prevention. Things are really falling into place wonderfully, despite my constant heart attacks, and I've really been learning so much throughout the process. I'm so excited, because I honestly think its going to be a great event...Mr. Artsy Hotpants thinks we can sell out both nights!

Okay, enough writing...I could go on and on about this for hours as this has been the majority of my life lately. But I really need to go to bed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ed said...

Isn't it wonderful to take the energy that would have been wasted in the corporate world and turn it into art? I couldn't be happier than to hear about all of these projects you're involved in. I can sense the momentum building even here.

March 28, 2005 3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home