Thursday, August 25, 2005

3 Dates in 24 Hours! or How Much of a Fucking Extremist Am I?



I had quite an adventure on my date with Doc Harley last night; and was so freakin fun!

We met at the theatre to see another one of the evenings of Alphabet City, and went outside so that he could eat his falafel sandwhich, which he proceeded to scarf down faster than the speed of light. He also spilled half of it on his shirt, which I can't really fault him for, as I tend to do the same thing with my food. The interesting thing, and I guess this is part of what fascinates me about him, is that he didn't seem to give a shit at all. It was the same story when we got into the theatre and he put his legs over the empty seat in front of him; that's how he was comfortable, so that's how he was going to sit. While the talking in between pieces of the show was a little too much, and I had to punch him in the arm, I really kind of respect the fact that he's totally no holds barred. He doesn't profess to be anything other than exactly what he is, and feels no need to apologize for it. Its kind of the "If you don't like it, fuck you" mentality, that I wish I had more of myself.

After the show is when the real fun began. He asked if I'd be uncomfortable riding on the bike in my dress (being that you're straddling a giant machine and all...in a short dress), to which I responded a resounding "Fuck No!" Then he asked if I liked Italian food, because he knew of a little place we could go to. So on the bike we climbed, and off we went.

This is when I discovered something I never knew about myself; motorcycles turn me on. A lot. Bikes are sexy. Bikes are so incredibly hot.

Bikes are really really really fun when combined with certain piercings too.

But I digress. Did I mention bikes were sexy?

I felt like I was flying and seeing things as I'd never seen them before. We drove down FDR drive, all the way downtown to Battery Park, taking in what was the most spectacular 360 degree view of my wonderful city. It was literally breathtaking.

We ended up in some neighborhood somewhere in the middle of Brooklyn - I have no idea where we were - at this really nice Italian restaurant (whose inhabitants I promptly flashed while getting off the bike). The food was great and the conversation odd, to say the least; Doc Harley is a virtual font of random odd and sometimes slightly disturbing bits of information. The conversation ranged from the cloning of beef cells using the same technique as skin grafting, to how the Brooklyn bridge was built and the single worst death count disaster in New York's history. While my brain was reeling, at least I wasn't bored.

We then went to this outdoor park right across the Brooklyn Bridge, which provides an excellent view of the Manhattan skyline, where we cuddled and talked and made out like horny teenagers on prom night. We stayed for a while on our little bench, and at one point I was sort of stretched out with my head in his lap, he was uncharacteristically silent for a moment, and he was stroking my head and it was just this lovely little moment of simplicity and happiness - one of those timeless and placeless moments.

We went back to his place, had a little whiskey, made out some more, and I refused to spend the night. I told him I had promised my therapist that I wouldn't, which is true but also pretty funny in my opinion. This man, probably in his 40's, was such a little kid at times and was like pouting about me not spending the night. He said "We don't have to do anything!"...ummm, yeah, what guy ever says that and means it?

He's leaving today for a camping (yes, camping! wow!) trip across Nova Scotia on his bike, but we made plans to go on a 4 day camping trip to the Adirondaks in mid September. It was odd - he moves fast like that, talking as if we're like already a couple, and we've really only just met. Then again, that's kind of his personality I guess. I just have to keep telling myself that its okay to go at whatever pace I'm comfortable with and not be influenced by his.

He did take me out to a very nice restaurant for lunch today, after my appointment with my lawyer, The Godfather of Civil Liberties. It was kind of nice to play hooky and get treated like a princess all at once.

But I'm not jumping into anything, despite the fact that he had his friend take a picture of us together for me to have while he's gone (ummm, hello? 2nd date, buddy, not marriage!) and said he'd call from the road. I told him "Look, I just met you Doc! I've lived just fine up to this point despite not knowing you, and we're still getting to know eachother; I think I'll be okay on my own for 10 days - you don't need to call me." I'm sure he will. He's pre-sex smitten - that is to say the condition wherein someone is overly into another person, primarily because they have yet to and are dying to get down their pants.

I made a promise to my therapist.

Besides, I don't want to jump the gun here, because I also have a date tonight with Composer Boy...heretofore Mr. Compositionally Maxed, renamed as such due to one of the truly endearing things about him being that when he was a little boy he had his room painted like the book Where the Wild Things Are, which is one of my favorite alltime children's books. I'm incredibly excited about this guy and about our date as we just seem to click conversationally, and share the same wacky sense of humor. The other night I was talking to him on the phone, and he was telling me this story about how a donkey in Poland almost bit his nipple off, and he invented a random weird word: uninipocular. I love inventing weird words. I love people who make up their own vocabulary when the existing one just doesn't suffice. Tonight when he called, I was at the SDJ (well, I still am) and was whispering because I was on the cell phone at the SDJ (a crime akin to the rape and pillage of an entire village, you understand); Mr. Compositionally Maxed started whispering too, and we went off on this whole secret agent tangent wherein even directions to where we are meeting became a part of the game.

So this is weird. I go from one emotionally unavailable unpromising year and a half long misadventure of hurt to two viable options. Two! What the hell! So far I like them both. Why the idea of liking and casually dating two different men sends me into a panic, I have no idea. Shouldn't I be able to do this and really take my time learning who these boys are? Aren't I entitled to that as long as I'm honest about it?

I suppose its really quite premature to be asking these questions anyway, its just I'm feeling oddly guilty. I guess I've never really done this before - I mean dated more than one person where I was actually genuinely interested in both. Most other situations involved sexual usury on at least one, if not both, parties' sides.

Umm, so I'm off to my 3rd date in 24 hours...wow, if you just started reading this blog you probably think I'm quite the little hussy, but I'm not. Well, sort of not. Oh damnit, after all the Mr. EU self torture I suffered, I freakin deserve this!

13 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

This sounds great! I was going to berate you about this guy being forty (I still don't really get the whole father figure thing you have) but the truth is that you're going to be 30 soon. So if you keep getting older and they stay the same age, what's the problem? (You can be kind of like Matthew Mchoweveryouspellit's character in Dazed and Confused...only in reverse...)

August 25, 2005 9:39 PM  
Blogger Swa said...

AND WHAT'S WRONG WITH FORTY???

Now that I have that out of my system... I will go back to staring blankly at the computer screen with my jaws dropped and thinking to myself "holy shit!"

NUFF SAID.

August 26, 2005 3:31 AM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

LOL. Nothing's wrong with forty, but Synge has a habit of dating much older men. I think IDEALLY it's probably better to be in relationships with people around your own age..although I think that as you get older this starts to matter less (within reason).

I also think it's one thing to just end up in a relationship with someone where there's a large age difference, but when there's a pattern, you have to wonder if there's a reason for that pattern.

Of course, my mother wanted me to marry a Jew and so far I haven't had any problems with my nice shaygetz, so what do I know?

August 26, 2005 3:54 AM  
Blogger . said...

Oh how exciting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

August 26, 2005 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing's wrong with forty. But a guy who "doesn't give a shit" generally ends up treating people with the same attitude. And he sounds like a drama queen - he's putting a lot of presure on you right now. Every guy I have been involved with who lays that "let's see each other tomorrow! Lets go on vacation next month" on me after the first date, has ended up being a boyfriend that was totally fucking bananas. Isn't that true for everyone? It must have been true for someone in his past - he's single and 40 and acts like a child (your observation....)
If you were someone for whom it was rare to find something sexy, then this guy and his bike might be remarkable. But you have no shortage of sexiness, so how is that worth it?
I am voting for the composer.

August 26, 2005 11:53 AM  
Blogger AVA said...

It's okay to not to jump into anything, but you're also absolutely right to go at the pace you feel comfortable with. I've had a few very long relationships all of which I've immediatly jumped into, and there's nothing I regret.

August 26, 2005 1:10 PM  
Blogger AVA said...

Oh, and this guy really does sound like a blast!!! tell us more!

August 26, 2005 5:26 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

wow.
okay vix, this isn't like the old guy, its a much smaller difference. and i don't think i have a father figure thing! i really would have bet $500, and you know how poor i am, that mr.eu was in his 30's before i knew. and well, age doesn't really matter all that much (unless its an ultra-extreme difference, which i discovered can never work).

swandad, first of all you're not at all old, and secondly when i met you i told you i thought you were way younger. shit, i look older than you, darlin!

secret name for eliza, i love that you pull the hard punches and take a stance early on...but aren't i kind of totally fucking bannanas too, really? i also love your secret name...very very sneaky. maybe even stealthy, but i'm not exactly sure.

ava, i totally get what you say, and i don't like to choose to ever have regrets either. but at the same time, i fucking hate the panic of "oh shit, i'm in deep and i don't know how to get out of this creepy bog i'm mired in, or how i waded in this far...", know what i mean? i'm the worst at ending things, and the faster you jump, the harder the landing.

the date with mr. compositionally maxed was really great too - new post should appear soon.

how pathetic is it that i kind of like the idea of someone else choosing for me? isn't that like arranged marriage or something?

August 26, 2005 7:47 PM  
Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

good for you synge, way to live the swingin' single life and still keep your dignity in tact. if i had ever enjoyed the dating lifestyle, i would be jealous.

as far as the father figure thing, i agree and disagree. i think that you definitely USED to have a father figure thing, but you seem to be over that. at our age, it is not only not unusual to date men in their 40's, it is advisable. most men in their thirties just aren't grown up yet (not that all 40+ men are, but at least your chances are better...). although, from my one brief (drunken) encounter, i don't think that mr. EU looked like he was in his 30's (though he definitely acted like it).

i do totally agree with the stealthily named eliza; i personally find that 'i don't give a shit' attitude more annoying and childish than admirable. it's one thing to be self-confident and another to be pompous, but the line between can be very thin. and as far as you being banannas, that's just an old excuse that you need to let go of. you are creative and smart and unique, but you are not crazy.

there's my 2 cents for free, and i owe you a phone call as well- it's coming, i promise.

August 26, 2005 9:33 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Well, I never met nor saw a picture of Mr. EU so I cannot vouch for how old he looks.

I'm just saying that I never see you dating guys your own age. I'm not placing a judgement on that...but I'm not sure that I've EVER seen you seriously date a guy your own age. Even Mr. Alphabet was older than you, right? (Unless you want to dig wayyyyy back to high school...)

August 27, 2005 6:16 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

oh my god, you just made me pee in my pants by calling him mr. alphabet! i freakin forgot that story!

yes, mr. alphabet, my long distance chicago love at age 18 was 23 at the time (i think...i can't even remember now...he might have been 25, but i think he was 23).

for the rest of you, he's called mr. alphabet because of a very funny love letter he once wrote me, which i of course read aloud to all of my friends when we broke up.

August 28, 2005 1:52 AM  
Blogger laura said...

i applaud you seeing other people and keeping it at a comfortable pace. as for age - my husband is eight years younger than me, so i'm sort of biased toward younger men, but i've found some of them to be more mature than the older ones. at 22, justin was certianly more of a grown up than i was at 30, when we met. the 40-somethings that pursued me in my 20s were all either trying to cheat on their wives or were completely unable to commit to anything, ever. my point is that age is relative, and 40 is not a guarantee of emotional maturity.

August 28, 2005 11:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, he sounds really cool. Age is no big deal.

August 28, 2005 4:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home