Sunday, August 14, 2005

My Brain Melted Hours Ago

While I do think talking about (and whining about) the weather is always a conversational cop-out and is merely stating the obvious, its so fucking hot right now that my brain melted hours ago and this infernal (forgive the cheesy pun) heat is really all I am capable of focusing on. I'm usually pretty good about just sucking it up and accepting the fact that in late summer I will generally be a gross smelly squishy walking blob of sweat as I continue to melt away throughout the day and night...but when it gets to the point where you feel like you're suffocating under a one of those cheap mexican blankets they sell in border towns and gas stations that's been soaked in foul smelling wet garbage, it can become a tad bit difficult to remain positive. I am drowning in my own personal lake-o'-sweat in my air-conditionless 5th floor walk up and the heat has sapped too much of my energy to attempt to swim. I've even set up camp on my little half-futon (they call it a love seat that folds out into a twin size bed...I call it a glorified chair that folds out into a children's bed), as it just might be one degree cooler than up in the loft bed. I'll take whatever semblence of comfort I can find at this point.

Worse yet I was forced, by an oh-so-convenient cancellation of the 7 train service, to spend an inordiante amount of time in the molten subway in an attempt to get to PS1 in Long Island City; it was well worth the hellish journey, though by the time we arrived I wasn't quite certain if I was still a living being. I was tooling around town with My Little Vidipookikins' brother, The Wacky Pirate, and his girlfriend, Ms. Surprise Installation; I suppose it was actually less tooling, and more sludging like snails leaving a slimy trail of sweat in our exhausted wake. The museum was hosting a weekly music event in the courtyard, sponsored in part by Target, whose presence could be detected to the careful observer by weird circular seat cushions and tacky visors all sporting the Target logo which everyone seemed to be utilizing and which seemed to be shoved in your face every ten seconds by an overeager crowd canvasser distributing the free booty. It was actually rather surreal; uber corporate mass marketing meets contemporary art? While it worked for Worhol's stylized soup cans, it just seemed grossly out of place and horribly intrusive spread around the bodies in the courtyard of PS1. I'd even go as far as to say it was slightly nauseating; then again, maybe that was a by-product of the heat. Amazingly enough, there were people with enough energy (or coke...probably coke) to actually dance amidst the straight jacket of humidity enveloping us all. We, however, escaped the booming base and sweat and retreated into the museum.

I'd never been to PS1, and am not always the hugest fan of contemporary art; modern I adore, but contemporary often strays into pretentionin my humble opinion. While there were many pieces and installations of that ilk, I found the museum to be a refreshing surprise. The way the space is set up and utilized (there's art everywhere- in the stairwells and bathrooms and hidden little corners) was brilliant, and some of the work was really quite good; most of it was at least interesting, with the exception of a few pieces that you really had to wonder how the hell they got in there. By the time we hit the 3rd floor we were all in such sensory overload that we ended up doing a bit of a speed through (I tend to be that obnoxious lingerer) and I could no longer even focus what precious little there remained of my brain on what I was barely seeing. But I had such a great time. It was one of those days where it feels like you go on vacation in your own home; all the details and awareness of regular day to day life are momentarily suspended, and you kind of get to float in the moment. I often crave that feeling.

We ended the evening with a huge group dinner at Uncle Nick's, as stragglers made their way west and the odd menagerie of haphazardly thrown together personalities convened thankfully close to my apartment (which rarely happens). Good food, good company, and best of all...plenty of cool air.

Now I will hopefully not melt as I try to get a little sleep so that I am not a narcoleptic at tomorrow's callback. Being sweaty and stinky and gross is one thing, randomly falling asleep is a whole other ballgame here.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh the heat...I can very much relate....

However, this heat never changes in SW FL......I have no escape to look forward to....sigh. Thank God that AC is NOT optional in this part of the country.

Look at it this way....many ancient cultures believe that sweat is a way of removing toxins that are both physical and mental....perhaps u are sweating out the recent stresses...

By the way, I am very proud of your steps to cut out Mr. EU......u didn't take small steps....u took ballet-like leaps. Graceful, but not violent.....u are being kind to your psyche. Good work,,,,,,

And by the way, break a leg 2-morrow....
may the power of your magnetism at Mia's,
your ability to sing Let's Stay Together onstage and any deep kareoke song, your kindness to the homeless, and the presence to cause men who barely know u to send u flowers...all be with u at your audition!

August 14, 2005 10:55 AM  
Blogger Swa said...

And I thought I had it bad... I sit here in my a/c fueled bedroom vexed at the fact that I have a mouse that seems to thrive at toying with my ever-dwindling patience and you are sitting in virtual purgatory. I should probably appreciate my miniscule annoyances, huh?

As for PS1- that is usually a pretty good time, however, I chose to take a pass on it yesterday for fear of having a heatstroke in the middle of the crowd. It wouldn't have been a pretty sight.

August 14, 2005 12:49 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

my sweet twin laurielou, you have no idea how much i needed to hear that. i forget things all the time about my own life, and have been feeling lately like no one will ever want to date me again. i forgot about flowers from a virtual stranger...and i forgot i had the balls to sing karaoke once upon a time. you do always know what to say, don't you? and yes, perhaps i am sweating out the negativity...i am starting to feel a little lighter. just a little...

skoehler, you do that that despite my complaining, i prefer the furnace anyday to the freezer.

swandad, wanna borrow my evil attack cat? that mouse'll be outta there in 2 secs...of course your feet will be shreded and she'll attack you probably before the mouse, but it does solve the problem...

August 14, 2005 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent Blog site you've provided.
Some Advise And Informatiom About Classic Car.
Looking For Classic Car Facts And Information ?

August 14, 2005 4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home