Sunday, April 10, 2005

Opening Night

Tonight is opening night. I'm so glad I got about 4 hours sleep last night. I think I'm going to have to stop by the evil Starbucks for a quadruple esspresso drink. I went out to Long Island to see the folks after rehearsal, didn't get there until late, stayed up with Mom, and couldn't sleep after that. Luckily my 6 year old cousins woke me up at 6:30am by scream whispering "Cousin Synge is on the couch! Cousin Synge is on the couch!" I then growled, rose, and glared...they ran. I caught up to them (they're the most adorable twin girls ever) picked each one up and swung them upside down saying gruffly with mock anger, "Don't you know you're supposed to wake your favorite cousin with hugs and kisses? Where are my hugs and kisses?" They shrieked with joy and I groggily envied their energy that I knew I would need for tonight. I then spent the next 3 hours picking them up and throwing them about and being quite silly. So much for conserving energy.

It was wonderful and well worth it, tired as I am. First of all, no one runs lines with me quite like my Mom - she does all of these really animated hand gestures whenever I'm one word off
(I like to be line perfect and we have the strict process down to a science of immediate correction and then repetition to ensure correct muscle memory) and it was so lovely to be doing this with her again. Also, as happens with The Vagina Monologues, we started talking about all our own experiences as womyn. My Mom also got really into reading some of the parts...it was adorable.

I wanted to send a huge thank you out to Vixanne and Orphannie, who I just found out the other day both contributed to the show, although they are far away. I am wonderfully touched, and your support means so much. Thank you for your generosity, and your support of me and my work. I also want to thank Mr. Artsy Hotpants, who donated hours and hours of his time, energy, and expertise to this endeavor. This would have been a disasterous cluster fuck had it not been for his help. He also has kept me together and excited about the project throughout the whole process, and every time we talked (which has been often lately), he asks how "V" is and tells me how excited he is to see it.

And Vix and MAH hate the play! That's what amazing friends I have!

I have to go dry the pants I'm wearing, which were handwashed at the last minute this morning. I definitely have laundry issues these days. Oh well.

Whooo-hooo! Off and running!

1 Comments:

Blogger Swa said...

So- how was opening night???? **fingers crossed**

April 11, 2005 8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home