Friday, August 26, 2005

The Secret Garden

Wow. The date with Mr. Compositionally Maxed was absolutely wonderful too, in a completely different way. Like in a scary how well we click kind of way. Like in an oh shit, this guy really listens and he gets me and I don't even have to translate Synge speak or flounder to feel like I'm getting across what I'm trying to say way. Ummmm...yeah. Just a little scary for she who flees from the possibility of anything real.

Not that I'm saying there is...I have no eggs in any baskets. Or unhatched chickens for that matter. No poultry or poultry products anywhere here. Nope. Just a bunch a bullshit, that's all, but no poultry to be found.

I crossed the river for this date, and ventured into hipsterville (Williamsburg), but it was well worth the schlepp and as I was not attacked by a band of way-too-cool-to-even-hang-out-with-themselves hipsters, all was well. I met him at his apartment, and the plan was to go to this club with great live music that's supposed to be this hidden treasure in Williamsburg. We never made it to the club, however, and spent the majority of the night drinking wine and talking out in his gorgeous patio garden that he built himself. The garden was downright magical, with christmas lights strung up, vines just begining to grow all along one wall, and an honest to god vegetable garden along the other wall.

He has some incredible looking tomatoes, let me tell you.

There was never a shortage of conversation throughout the night, and no awkward moments of silence. I'm not sure I've ever felt so comfortable talking with a guy on a date before, and was amazingly candid and honest with no censoring whatsoever, and no fear of saying the wrong thing or something stupid. Even in my less-than-eloquent moments that I'm famous for (I tend to use subvocal sounds more than words to describe things) he understood exactly what I meant, and tended to be right there with me in agreement.

He's also incredibly intuitive, which I find more than a little frightening. At one point, very late in the evening, the conversation ventured into rather serious territory. He was explaining the scars on his head, which I hadn't noticed but Mr. Saucy Funnybuns had mentioned, and talking about how they affected his self perception and others' perception of him. I told him that I understood very well abaout scars, as I had many, both visible and not. He replied, "I know you do. I can tell. You've been through a lot, but you've got incredible strength, and that strength is beautiful." I remained silent, and just kind of buried my head in the crook of his neck, partly panicking at my own transluscence and his X-ray vision and highly uncomfortable with how utterly naked I felt at that moment. He then said "Wow. You're really uncomfortable when people say nice things and compliment you, aren't you? If you want I can try to learn how to be an asshole if you want me to, but I'd really rather not."

I also broke the sex fast Lady Charon had put me on.

And ummm, he's pretty perceptive in that area as well. Yeah. Definitely.

I really wasn't going to, and was adamant about sticking to my guns, but in the end I am a weak willed creature in some ways. Particularly when it comes to sex. When it became pretty obvious that it was definitely going to happen, he stopped everything, looked right into my eyes, and said "Listen, I really really want to see you again." I don't know if he said it to assure me, or to let me know that if this was going to stop us from seeing eachother again he didn't want to do it, or to let me know he wasn't going to let me use sex to push him away; maybe it was a combination of all three, but it did definitely keep me from pushing him away and running. And it was just this really beautiful honest moment; the kind that scares the crap outta me.

Somewhere around four in the morning, after the lying in an exhausted heap phase had passed, we stayed up even longer talking in funny accents and laughing and eating peanuts in bed. It was almost like hanging out with one of my really good friends that I've known forever, except for the whole intense sex part of it. Even after lyling back down to go to sleep we continued to talk and laugh a la schoolgirls' slumber parties where you just can't shut up and let yourself fall asleep.

I ended up leaving my locket there the next morning; I am far from being a materialistic womyn, but my locket is the most important thing in the world to me. It is my security blanket, my comfort...my attachment to my brother. I am never without it and I rarely take it off. So I naturally, upon realizing its absence (once back in Manhattan, of course), I completely panicked. I called Mr. Compositionally Maxed, and when he picked up he said "You left your watch here, I was just about to call you." I said in a thinly veiled tremble progressively approaching a freak out, "And my locket! I forgot my locket! It's on the shelf by the bed!" He paused (assumedly looking) and "Oh, yeah, its right here." I said "Umm, I know this sounds really silly, and its just a locket and all, but that locket is the most important thing in the world to me." He offerred to bring it to my in the city, but I was already at work and I knew he had to work and then go out of town to Boston, so it wasn't really feasible. He assured me that the cats would not abscond with it and offerred again to bring it to me; most importantly, he wasn't treating me like the complete freak I was being about the whole thing. He said now we'd have to have another date so that I could get it back. I said "Okay, but could it be Monday night, because I really don't want to be without my security blanket for too long?"

So now I have two very viable very sweet and completely different options where before there were none. Of course now I also feel pressured to make some sort of choice immediately, when I know not only do I not have to, but I shouldn't; I should give it time and get to know these guys both and take my time. I guess I do tend to jump in headfirst; such is my extremist nature. It doesn't help matters much that Doc Harley has called and e-mailed almost every day since he left, which makes me feel a little suffocated. I understand that he's excited and all, but I think I kind of want to meander instead of going warp speed, you know?

On the one side I have the exciting adventure that I crave and on the other the incredibly supportive but also sexy best friend kind of thing that I've never had...at least that's the assesment so far, I guess I can't really judge yet. Mr. Artsy Hotpants made a good point that either guy doesn't necessarily lack the qualities that I admire in the other. And right now I want both, until I can figure out what the hell I want. But can I do that? I'm not entirely sure I'm all that capable of dating more than one person that I'm viably interested in and the pendulum shifts from moment to moment.

How funny to be now having this dilemma.

9 Comments:

Blogger Roxanne said...

This is a good dilemma.

I was going to make a joke and ask you if you fondled his tomatoes, but clearly you did...so the joke is no good anymore.

(I have heard a rumor that Mr. Compositionally Maxed is indeed under the age of 40. Did you go out with him just to spite me?)

So this is good. Play it by ear. I got into a bit of an argument (not a mean one...a discussion) with MAH over Doc Harley and his calls. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing that someone who likes you is calling on a daily basis. I think it's better than not calling. So I wouldn't just dismiss him because of this...maybe I just feel this way because I have always been the person calling or trying to stop myself from calling so the other person doesn't think I'm too desperate. It would be so much nicer if you could just call and be honest that you liked that person enough to want to talk to her on a daily basis.

August 29, 2005 11:53 AM  
Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

wow sarachkah, you charge some steep rates! but sage and insightful observation, nonetheless. i agree with you completely.

synge, though i appreciate your desire to carefully weigh your options and take your time, my vote is totally for the composer guy. not only because he is a composer (and that's cool) but because he sounds (and, mind you, i emphasize the word SOUNDS, as i don't know the guy and can only go off of second hand info from one encounter) like the elusive 'nice guy' you have been running from for so long. the other guy is already making you feel 'suffocated'- you said that yourself; and the 'exciting adventure' element, while nice and fun, is so much less important that connection, intuition and understanding (and hot sex). besides, it's not as if the composer guy sounds boring or unexciting.

plus, a man with his own vegetable garden is so you.

and motorcycles are dangerous, my accident prone friend.

August 29, 2005 12:12 PM  
Blogger . said...

My vote's for the composer too. But I say keep them both around for a while, see how things play out. If you know you have more than one option, you'll feel more confident, and that will make you subcionsiously appear more attractive to both boys--a good thing!

August 29, 2005 2:10 PM  
Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

sorry to start the poll going.

obviously, you are a smart woman, fully capable of making your own decisions, and if you want to date two guys, then by all means, you should do just that, and more power to your super desirable and highly sought-after self.

that said, i still think the harley guy sounds like a wanker.
(i just can't keep my opinions to myself, can i?)

August 29, 2005 3:27 PM  
Blogger laura said...

not that you asked for it, but in my opinion the harley guy sounds like a short, intense affair and the musical guy sounds like the kind of person with whom one could actually build a life together. to me, it's a matter of whether you want the forest fire or central heating. forest fires are fine if you're not ready to invest in central heating (i mean that only metaphorically, of course), but don't you deserve central heat?

August 29, 2005 3:50 PM  
Blogger MAH said...

Synge-
I don't think you have to make a choice, nor do I think you should make a choice. However, the Doctor freaks me out. It's one thing to say what you mean and be direct. It's quite another to be suffocating and clingy after a second date. I don't think you have to figure out now what you want but you have to realize that eventually you may have to make a choice and that will involve someone's feelings getting hurt. If you sense that something may be a little off right now (Doc Harley) it will be easier to deal with it now in a very direct way. I'm hesitant to jump on the composer bandwagon becuase I feel like that implies an either/or situation. Why can't it be neither? Or both? But if both, and you find your affections swaying one way or the other you have to be honest with yourself and your gentlemen callers. What do I know? This coming from someone who gives his suitor stained underwear to wear and then says "I'm sure I'll see you around." Don't listen to me.

August 29, 2005 5:07 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

MAH, I'm not sure that you know who qualifies as a "suitor." What...are in the The Gless Menagerie, Laura?

I'm not voting for either the composer or the harley riding doctor (although I do so love motorcycles)...I haven't met either one.

The little word verification thing is asking me to type in "KIDHEPIG" which looks like KILL THE PIG to me. Very strange.

August 29, 2005 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey I don't know....You weren't asking....
I HAVE seen you in this split decision thing before..and it can overwhelm you. My dear...play it by ear. I, as you know, truly believe in the guiding hand of a higher power. I mean...reallly...all that shit with Mr. EU and LOOOOOK...you've turned around the corner to find lovely things.
So, they both sound interesting...but I think by rereading your own words in your previous posts...you will find many answers. I think you know where I'd go..but I am not u, my love. Regardless, RELAX-ACCEPT-ENJOY.

August 30, 2005 11:18 AM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

i love that everyone's weighing in on their favorites already.

mr. artsy hotpants, you've brought up a good point both in person and on this blog that its not an either or situation...that it can be a neither situation as well...i think thta's a very important thing to remember and i'm glad that you keep reminding me of it.

the overwhelming majority seems to be for composer boy, and yes, sarachkah, if it grows into a relationship i will one day share this with him. but only further down the road if it gets into a relationship.

vix, please don't kill a pig because my word verification told you to...i'm not sure that's a kosher word verification, you know.

August 30, 2005 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home