Thursday, September 01, 2005

Hitting the Rally, the Road, and Bacchus All in One Fell Swoop


Wow, I actually survived yesterday! And it went pretty well, considering Norman Siegel was 45 minutes late and we totally had to stall for time (he arrived just as we were wrapping up because we went through all of our speakers, grabbed a few extra at the last minute, and two of us organizers spoke without intending to - my worst nightmare - unprepared public speaking). The media show was incredibly disappointing, and metro reporting something about it being the anniversary of the arrests of some horribly erroneous number of protesters, like 277 or something like that. I wonder what rally they were at? The reporter was there through almost all of it - where the number over 1800 arrestees kept being repeated over and over again. Hmmm, 1800 + vs 277...oh yeah, I see how easily such a distortion could be made. Puh-leeze.

But the best thing is that the rally, and the overwhelming anxiety I was feeling connected to it, is over and done with. And hell, at least we did something to say that the assault on civil liberties is not going unnoticed, and will not be taken lying down. We are not handing over our first amendment rights to the highest bidder and they can take their entrapment tactics and shove it up their asses.

Next up is the huge anti-war march in DC on the 24th, where thankfully I will just be along for the ride; no planning, no stress. Lady Alice and I are going with the Code Pink crew and perhaps a Lady of Liberty or two, if we can convince them to actually participate. But no more rally planning on our parts for a while; we need sleep.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I am thankfully running away again (yes, I try to do that as often as possible) starting tomorrow, to go with my Dad to this crazy 4 day long labor day weekend caving tradition called Old Timer's Reunion. Its basically a 4 day long crazy party for cavers, where little to no caving is actually done, as the inebriation/drug factor is generally too high at any given point in the day. There is a naked sauna and hot tub, naked and suited areas of the river, live music at the pavillion, and a crazy costumed parade called the Doo-Dah parade every Saturday morning. Sundays there is the river wine party, where everyone puts their chairs in the shallow river and proceeds to get slodhed all afternoon. I have many humiliating stories for many an OTR past, the worst being passing out in a port-o-potty that I had to be rescued from. I also once woke up on a picnic table with a cup in my hand saying "homeless, please help" because I passed out by the huge bonfire and no one could find my campsite.

Okay, so OTR doesn't really translate to those who have not attended the Bacchanalian festivities themselves; yes its a bunch of crazy freaks half of whom are running around naked and the other half of whom are racing through a zip line strung between two trees in climbing harnesses. But cavers are a rare and spectacular breed of individuals, none of whom lack for personality. I suppose it goes with the territory - I mean we like to crawl around underground and explore what can sometimes be very scary terrain, all while laughing and trying to avoid caving behind that one gassy person who keeps blaming it on the barking cave spiders. Yes, cavers cave hard and party harder, and most rules of politess are thrown out of the window. But cavers live by a code all their own, however, and despite its odditities the caving community has always really come through in taking care of their own through death, illness, accidents...you name it. When my brother died, the cavers took care of everything thta we could have possibly needed, and in some ways they were more like family than my Dad's family from New York. I guess it goes back to the whole life-risking sport thing, where you really have to be able to rely on eachother underground, so the same applies above ground.

So I'm excited to be revisiting that community and seeing many people I haven't seen in a few years. I'm also excited to be going to the mountains of West Virginia, one of my favorite places of all time.

I've calmed down in my old age, so don't expect any crazy stories of winning Ramen Noodle Wrestling Championships (which I did several years in a row at different NSS - National Speliological Society - Conventions, back when I was younger), passing out homeless or worse, or otherwise saucy tales that used to accompany my return from OTR's of the past.

No, this year I will be well behaved.

Nah, who am I kidding? I'll be wild, but I just won't tell about it.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I was actually asked by several people this year if I was one of the ramen noodle wrestlers. Found your blog by a random search of "OTR ramen noodle". But your blog sounds really cool so I hope you don't mind if I keep reading. --Avie--

September 07, 2005 11:21 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

avie, glad you found me. i was actually the original ramen wrestler - the first year they did it in texas...and i won there, in idaho, and beet pulp wreslting the first year they did it at otr. but i was disappointed to find out this year how much its changed. its all spectacle and no sport. that's partly why i didn't wrestle this year. but i did the cave conservancy tshirt auction, so i was still a little into spectacle i guess. but its for a good cause, you know.

of course i don't mind if you keep reading, though i don't know how interesting my little life really is...

September 08, 2005 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. I was one of those mad cavers at OTR this year. It was my first. Yes I did have to have OTR Virgin on my name tag. I was one of the few that also managed to get into three caves while I was there. Reading your blog it sounds inconceivable that you would have any insecurities. You looked absolutely terrific in the t-shirt auction and seem to really know how to dance. I was telling others I thought you had quite a bit of experience based on how you moved. Take care - (another caver family member). I agree we are definitey like one big family! Oh yeah - will you be going to next years OTR? I am in the Philly and Central New Jersey Grotto's. One wasn't enough for me. Which Grotto are you with?

September 08, 2005 4:02 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

now how do you know which one i was in the t-shirt auction??

i should be at next year's...i've missed a few lately, but this was my 8th (last year i was rudely arrested by the nypd, and due to being held illegally for 50 hours, i missed my flight...i also couldn't have really gone due to the lovely pier 57 chemical burns on my feet...)

i unfortunately didn't get to cave this year...i almost did randy gandy, but 1. i didn;t want to get stuck behind my dad's naked ass and 2. i'm a cold water woos.

rass is all so far, but i might join met soon.

and anonymous...you are too kind to my old (but still shakin it) ass.

September 08, 2005 4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually I was just guessing based upon your photo. It's a bit blurry but I can at least tell you are not a blonde, and it looks like you have an athletic body. Let's see if I am correct then. There were three blondes, one of which looked too young to be selling the shirt off her back. So obvioiusly neither of them was you. The younger girl I hear was 20, definitely not 29. I know one of the others so that wasn't you. The third was a knockout but once again not a brunette. Now that leaves four brunettes as far as I can remember. One didn't look like her body was as athletic as your picture. So that leaves three brunettes. I guessed you were the one who went up twice. She had some serious dance moves which would also go along with your picture. Either way if you were one of the other two brunettes, you are still very good looking! If I am wrong which one were you?

Pier 57 chemical burns?

I didn't do the randy gandy either. I got into "Just Right", "My Cave", and the "Mingo" portion of Simmons Mingo. After two full days of caving my legs were looking for a day off.

Besides we are planning a trip to "Surprise" this weekend before it closes for the season.

No longer anonymous
a12Learn2000@yahoo.com

September 09, 2005 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, haven't really had a chance to read much of your blog yet- but definetely want to. I'm also 29 and was "born into" caving. My first otr was before I was a year old, and I was a coot before I even turned 20 (not missing one). Actually, this was my first year to go to the sauna and I loved it. Was too afraid I'd run into my parents friends the previous years. (Now my parents go to bed rather early.) I'm from the Pittsburgh area. Cavers are definetely hard to explain and they are their own community. What year did they start the noodle wrestling? When I was a kid, I remember the wet t-shirt contests- now that's way too tame. later, --Avie--
or
cavermeg@yahoo.com

September 14, 2005 11:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow I think I may have talked to you the year when Commander Cody came to OTR. I was in line getting the Commander's personal chicken dinner Saturday. I remember talking to a smoking hot brunette who mentioned she was going to get body painted later. I later saw the same girl doing a sexy dance at what I guess was the T-shirt thing. Think I also saw you later that year or some later OTR at the river where you were partying with some of our guys at our portable Tiki Bar.

If so... what a small bloody world and a neat blog. Kevin

September 21, 2006 2:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home