Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The Kid Who Threw a Party That Nobody Came To or The Fearful Activist



Why, oh why do I commit to these things? I am a masochist, that's all there is to it.

I am currently working on a new project...an ulcer. Brought to you in part by the RNC Arrestee Coalition's RNC Mass Arrests: Rally to Remember....We Have Not Been Silenced!

I am not a planner, coordinator, or public speaker; these are not my strengths. Yet here I am, part of a four member team planning a major rally with big time speakers such as Norman Siegel, Marty Stolar, Bill Goodman, representatives from Time's Up, Free Wheels, and others; endorsed by NYC NLG, NYCLU, International Action Center, Code Pink NYC, Ladies of Liberty, Queens Lesbian and Gay Democratic Club, and Stonewall Democratic Club of New York City.

Can you say aaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!???

I feel like the little kid playing adult.

I also have this ridiculous fear that I'll be the kid who throws the party that no one comes to.

I'm thinking realistically, we can expect at least 100 people there, minimum, and it will most likely be more. We've also gotten a lot of press bites, including the wretched Fox News and the revered WBAI, so we're running the publicity gamut. Its sort of a rally and press conference combined, to call attention on the one year anniversary to the wrongful attempted silencing of free speech in New York City during the Republican National Convention, the horrendous entrapment techniques and illegal prosecution techniques employed by the NYPD and the DA's office that are currently under investigation by the US Justice Department, and the unsanitary and harmful conditions under which arrestees were detained for well over the 24 hour period in direct violation of a New York State Supreme Court order.

This is an important rally during a time in which dissent is unfortunately not a citizen's responsibility, but a citizen's discouraged shame. A time in which "free speech is a privilege, not a right" according to Mayor Bloomberg and his Republican cohorts.

I hope its not a gigantic cluster fuck.

I'm sure things will go wonderfully and that I'm just giving myself heart failure over nothing.

But I've heart failure and the beginnings of an ulcer nontheless.

I must go panic now.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you....and will always support you!
from:
1 of your gbf's

August 31, 2005 12:45 AM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

i love you too mr. saucy funnybuns, and i needed that...its 1am and i can't sleep at all...major anxiety combined with major goopy allergies. its just not so pretty.

August 31, 2005 12:54 AM  
Blogger SunGrooveTheory said...

Well, how does one get an invite to this thing?

Don't worry, I'm sure it'll go great :D

August 31, 2005 1:11 AM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

sgroovy, its at park row right by city hall on the sidewalk. look for the orange netting such as that used to ensnare and trap detained persons during the mass arrests. rally gathering time is 5pm; speakers begin at 5:30pm.

there is an affiliated afterparty right after the rally ends - the liberty bash at the brooklyn lyceum at 227 4th ave & president street in park slope. take the r to union street in bklyn. 8pm-midnight.

(but i know you're not in new york)

August 31, 2005 4:26 AM  
Blogger AVA said...

Everything will go fine Synge. I think it's great that you're doing all these things. I really admire you.

September 01, 2005 12:22 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

thanks, ava. that really mean a lot.

September 01, 2005 6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home