Sunday, April 09, 2006

Hawaii Part I - The Big Island

I have had a very hard time re-adjusting since getting back from my long trip - between the agressive assaulting feeling of the city after the laid back slow going of Hawaii and extreme jet lag, I've been thoroughly exhausted and quite overemotional. In my attempt to re-acclimate, I haven't felt much like writing (or doing anything else for that matter), hence the almost week long silence. I still don't feel much like writing, so I decided to show a few of the 600 photos I took on my trip and let the pictures speak for me. Plus I'm secretly hoping for photographic accolades (subtle aren't I?) to boost my ego which is in constant photographic competition (war) with my father.So without further ado...the Big Island, Hawaii.


Bird of Paradise...on paradise. One of my favorite photos of the trip because the light even gave the "bird" an eye. I am such a dork.


Speed limit sign on the old Chain of Craters road in Volcanoes National Park buried in a lava flow that covered the road in 2003.


Holeil Sea Arch formed by waves continually pounding against the volcanic rock with steam plume caused by lava flowing into the ocean, hitting the cold water.


Steam plume caused by lava flowing from the current eruption on Mauna Loa at the Pu'u O'o crater as the hot lava meets the cold ocean water. Creation in the making.


Two very adorable explorers trekking through the rainforest. Aren't they cute?
I think I'll keep 'em.


Detail of a pool of water flowing in a series of waterfalls at Pe'epe'e Falls, which I'm almost certain I misspelled.


Pe'epe'e Falls shot from above, and misspelled yet again.


Rainbow Falls, near Hilo. Yup, there really are tons and tons of waterfalls in Hawaii...if you only knew how many waterfall pictures I'm not posting....


On the edge of a stem vent in Kiluea Iki crater, Volcanoes National Park. Yes, it was very hot, but the hike, which began winding through lush rainforest and then abruptly went through the desolate crater floor was incredible!


This would be super hiker in lush rainforest. It was much lusher than the photo makes it appear.


The big crater at Kiluea Volcano with a long name starting with a U that I can't even begin to remember and couldn't pronounce at the time. This is said to be the home of Pele, the volcano goddess, and this is where people leave offerrings for Pele. I left her some Japanese rice cracker snacks. I hope she likes seaweed and wasabi.


At Southpoint, the southernmost point in the U.S., its so barren and windy that the tradewinds have taken their toll on the few trees thaht manage to survive.


The old boat hoists right by Southpoint, looking north toward the rest of the island. No, Dad did not jump in.


Hawai'i's version of litter; a papaya discarded in the rocks at Kealakekua Bay.


My friend the sea turtle, sunning himself at Pu`uhonua o Honaunau. Mom and I seriously bonded with a pair of sea turtles who we swam with for about an hour while snorkeling off the Kona coast. I am completely in love with sea turtles, and hanging out with them for so long was one of the highlights of the trip.


The house (I should say mansion - it was fucking HUGE and amazing!) where we stayed in Kona, which belongs to a client of my father's, and was sort of the impetus for thw whole trip to begin with.


This is my Japanese artistic shot. I am a pretentious photographer indeed.


Dramatic photo of the cliffs of the Waipi'o Valley taken from the very northern tip of the island. This was also me proving that changing the F-stop, even on a digital can help you create the photo you want. Take that, Dad! Hah! Who's the better photographer now? (not that I'm competetive or anything...)


Okay, this one was taken by Dad on my camera, I confess. A lucky moment with lighting, where I was too busy sulking about something or other to take a pitcure and he grabbed my camera. Damn my moodiness!


While consistently cloudy skies and frequent showers (it rained almost the entire vacation) are not what you imagine when you think of an ideal tropical vacation, it can be absolutely stunning in its own way.


The front yard and view at the house we stayed at in Kona.


Hawaiian petroglyph. This one is a man..that third leg, well...its a...ummm.... third leg.

While that is an awkward place to end, I must go shower and get ready for what may or may not be a date, I'm just not sure at all. Don't ask.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

WOW. Good lord Synge those are gorgeous. I mean amazing. Well done!

April 13, 2006 4:43 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

sarachkah - i have boxes and boxes of travel photos taken from various trips...that's why i finally went digital - storage purposes. but i may print one or two to put up in the apt. and yes, dad is really good, though instead of just trying things he asks me every other photo if he should use the circular polarizer or not, etc. if he just experimented a little more...wow.

j - you know who my mentor was...and you seem to have taken over her positive encouragement, which i love.

April 14, 2006 11:55 AM  
Blogger Jon said...

Those are amazing pics Synge. I think you are giving your dad a run for his money. Well done. The turtle story sounds so cool. Any under water pics???

I hope the jet lag is gone now.

April 16, 2006 3:16 AM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

no, no underwater pics...that's a whole other beast with a whole other learning curve...but i will hopefully post more pics soon.

April 19, 2006 10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home