Monday, February 20, 2006

The 10 Day Old and Moldy Birthday Post

This is what evidently happens when you turn 30...you keep meaning to blog about what a glorious celebration it was but you keep forgetting to, as time accelerates exponentially once you round that corner. Hopefully my aged and failing memory can recollect enough to fill you in on the details...

The actual day was perfect in every way, as was the entire weekend. I must say, I am completely spoiled. All day people were calling and singing on my voice mail and the surprises were neverending. Since she wasn't able to be here in person, Chanteuse decided to make the building receptionist work for her money, much to her chagrin. My co-workers were duly impressed by the almost continual deliveries that were happenning throughout the day. The first surprise was stinky french cheese, my absolute favorite thing in the world, in this gorgeous basket from Murray's Cheese Shop with fancy schmancy chocolates and natural honey. As if that wasn't enough, the next delivery was a potted plant of tulips, which are one of my favorite flowers in the world (along with daisies), and then the coup de gras was an incredible bottle of French champagne and a bottle of my favorite kind of wine (Cotes du Rhone). Not only was it incredibly fun to be surprised all day long, but the fact that she knows me so very well (I suppose after 16 years we should) was incredibly touching. I also got a bouquet of tulips, some chocolate ice cream, and best of all...CASH from my coworkers! God bless the office collection.

I hobbled from the sdj, fullen laden with my birthday spoils. and made my way 20 some blocks uptown to my horrifically messy apartment where Mr. Artsy Hotpants was kind enough to brave the fearsome spectre of my room to join me in a lovely birthday champagne and cheese toast (all of which were incredible, by the way). From there we somewhat tipsily made our way downtown, in a cab no less (see, spoiled all around) to the west village theatre where Mr. Artsy Hotpants had treated me to tickets to see In the Continuum. MAH is my absolute favorite person in the world to see theatre with, and as always, we had a wonderful time discussing it afterwards. After the show, MAH took me out for sushi dinner at Sushi Samba, where despite the trendy and packed atmosphere we discovered that Japanese, Brazillian and Peruvian cuisines really do not mix (though I enjoyed the varied types of seaweed salad). The celebration was capped off by several beers and many wonderful cheesy songs sung at the top of our lungs at the Duplex, which has become a personal MAH/Synge tradition over the last two and a half years.

And that was just the beginning....Maman and Dad were still to arrive the next morning at the oh-so-daunting hour of 8am and the official celebration was to be the next night....

---TO BE CONTINUED---

1 Comments:

Blogger Jon said...

I meant to call and sing, but your line was busy... That and the fact that I don't know your number ;)

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

February 21, 2006 12:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home