Monday, September 19, 2005

To The Boys

To the boys I am currently spending time getting to know:

Please do not write bad poetry supposedly inspired by me. This is not a compliment; bad poetry is an offensive insult on all counts (artistic and personal) and never a compliment. If you do write bad poetry supposedly inspired by me, please do not send it to me. I will email it to my friends and they will then call me and read it aloud back to me while I am at the sdj, thus causing a great commotion when I am snort laughing so hard that coffee pours forth from my nostrils. If you do write bad poetry supposedly inspired by me and have the bad taste to share it with me, please do not then call to ask if I have received it. This puts me in an uncomfortable position and creates much telephonic awkward silence as I do not lie, especially where art is concerned. I understand you meant well, and this was to be a sweet gesture illustrating your feelings; however, I am a jaded old fart who is unimpressed by sweet romantic gestures if they are artistically offensive. Bad poetry is, in fact, a huge turn off, and despite the good intentions, nothing can be less sexy than high school pretention. So please do reserve your flowery phrases to those special quiet moments...with yourself.

Please do not become defensive and act as if I am an imposition on your truly busy schedule if I happen to make a joke about your disappearance being due to disgust over my slovenly ways. I was not calling to passively aggressively chide you about not having returned my call this weekend; I was calling to find out if our tentative plans for tonight were still on. The reason I was asking about our tentative plans for tonight was that, suprisingly enough, you are not the only person in the city of New York that happens to be extremely busy. This would be why I am not at all disturbed by your business, despite what you seem to want to believe...I happen to suffer from the self same malady of overcommitment.

I merely made a teensy weensy joke about not knowing if you were not speaking to me because of my slovenly ways. I thought this to be a cute acknowledgement of the fact that 1. you were horrified at exactly what a slob I am and 2. I hadn't spoken to you since I last traumatized you with my messiness. Had I said something along the lines of "Why didn't you call me back?" in an annoying whining tone, perhaps that would probably give you reason to believe that I was upset about it. I did not. I happened to have been busy all weekend as well. I made a cute joke, being one who tries not to take myself too seriously. Its a good tactic, perhaps you should try it.

I would rather not be made to feel as though I am not being understanding of exactly how busy you are (poor baby, I feel your pain), when I am making no demands on your busy schedule. I have plenty to do on my own without being made to feel as though I am a demanding unsympathetic burden to fit in.

So boys, to sum it all up, I am an understanding non-demanding hellaciously busy straightforward womyn who abhors bad poetry and other such schmaltz. Pretty damn simple if you ask me.

10 Comments:

Blogger laura said...

men: can't live with 'em...

well, that's about it, i guess.

September 19, 2005 10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So was this Harley Man??

Why I would guess him to be the author of bad poetry...I can't say.

But can I say that...was it MEANT to be lovely and nice? Or was it meant to be sarcastic.

I think attempts at sweet love poetry can be cute even if bad...but if it illicited such a reaction from you...I am going to guess this was not the case.

Or perhaps I am a sucker for such things...because I have made attempts to do artistic things in the name of love that have turned out poorly and I would have been crushed if the object of my amor dissed me.

No doubt I may have inspired some "what a cheese ball" thoughts and I am sure if they didn't find it kind of endearing, then I am sure it was a turn-off.

BUT having said all of that in the defense of romantic gestures that suck.....I also know that when I don't really like someone and they do that kind of stuff to me...things such as written a song (bad rap with a sung chorus) or sent flowersw that were WAY over the top or tried to light my cigarette in a pretentious way...I find it a turnoff. But when you really like/love someone especially in the beginning in those first blushes of lust and romance, they could fart and it would be "soo cute"

I don't know food for thought.

September 20, 2005 10:39 AM  
Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

okay, so you have to tell us which guy commited which offense. i am nosy and i need to know- i need disclosure! (did the poem include any fun new references to the alphabet?)

September 20, 2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 20, 2005 12:04 PM  
Blogger CHANTEUSE said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

September 20, 2005 12:05 PM  
Blogger Roxanne said...

Synge
Your breasts are two passionate
globes
of fertile roundness
I long to smother my
f
ace
in them
smooshily
I ache for you
blue
with
great
balls
of
fire.

September 20, 2005 1:05 PM  
Blogger Le Synge Bleu said...

vix, you can write me poems any time you want - you just made my horribly hung over morning by making me pee in my pants laughing! i think you should leave comments in poetry all the time, but only if you do it smooshily.

September 20, 2005 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poetry, shmoetry.
I'm up in arms over this douchebag that tried to make you feel guilty or bad for whatever you said, instead of apologizing for not contacting you. You are worth buckets of cash and jewelry being throw at you, and embarrassingly long laughing fits at your hilarious/adorably-not-hilarous comments.

You can afford to be higher maintenance.

September 20, 2005 2:28 PM  
Blogger Swa said...

Ouch......

September 20, 2005 2:31 PM  
Blogger Jon said...

WOW! I am so glad I don't attempt to write poetry.

Great post and great blog!

September 20, 2005 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home