Thursday, January 26, 2006

Bilingual Jet Lag


I'm sure you've surmised by now that my long silence was due to geographic dislocation; namely my trip to Paris to see my cousin Peek-A-Boo. I wold love to tell you all about it, but unfortunately its now 3am for me and jet lag is most definitely taking its heavy toll as I struggle to keep my head from rolling like a deranged rabies victim. I'm desperately trying to rehabituate myself to this time zone and not go to bed at 10pm, but its a losing battle. Unfortunately, tonight I must stay awake to go support the Comedic Chameleon in UCB's Cage Match championship match...at 11pm (yikes! I'll be the coma victim in the 2nd row).

Some very quick highlights with links, just to pretend I'm not copping out on this blog entry:

Saturday night we went salsa dancing, cuban style, at a lovely and slightly trendy but still incredibly accessible establishment. Yes, you read that correctly, we went salsa dancing, though rather I should say Peek-A-Boo went salsa dancing and I went clumsily tromping on everyone's feet to a rhythm only I was aware of. The only man brave enough to dance with me was a law student getting his degree in International Law and working at the Lebanese embassy. Every time he spun me around I would spin with such, ummm, exuberance, that he was forced to repeatedly say "doucement! doucement!" (which translates gently! gently!) every time he turned me. He was a patient man indeed.

Peek-A-Boo took me to see two very different theatrical productions while I was there, knowing that I love seeing what's going on with theatre in Paris. The first was a modern day farce called Le Clan des Divorcees, and was a very well paced though slightly overdone well written piece. The second, however, was a one woman show called Mademoiselle Werner, which was absolutely phenomenal. I thought the actress, a well known figure in French theatre and cinema known simply as Anemone, was quite remarkable and her performance was beautiful nuanced and detailed while still being really fresh and believable.

Monday we continued our tradition begun 5 years ago of going to the Mosquee de Paris, where we indulged ourselves in absolute relaxing luxury of steam, massage, and mint tea at the hammam there, which is like a turkish bath. Afterwards we went to the restaraunt next door for a delicious and copious couscous dinner. Mmmm, couscous...I'm hungry just thinking about it.

Now I have to run go meet My Little Vidipookikins, who promises to keep me awake for the show tonight. I'll write more about the trip later, for now, enjoy the links and jet lag infused post.

[insert sound of snoring here]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home